Adventuring Parties of Larry Elmore

The place for general (edition-neutral) RPG topics and all those non-roleplay related discussions. Please read the announcements in this forum before posting.

Moderators: ghendar, Warwolf

Nagora
Elder Deity of Dragonsfoot

Re: Adventuring Parties of Larry Elmore

Post by Nagora »

genghisdon wrote:
Storm11 wrote:Image
answered...I believe that is Elmore himself writing there(& it is his website)...and yes, he was routed by Gary himself, apparently.
Gary was awesome, but he made mistakes! Still, I might get push-back on the awesome solo fighter vs big red being a mistake, but seeing this, I think it can speak for itself.
I think Gary was right artistically, but for the game the original is better as pulling in the party aspect.

Anybody know what the "shoot twice" at different percentages is about?
Smon wrote:Here's a good fight scene I don't think has come up yet, with dragon & snow:
That is just such an inspirational image. If you don't have stat blocks dancing in your head when you look at that then you're not a DM.
SimperingToad
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by SimperingToad »

Oopsies. Someone correct me if I don't recall correctly, but wasn't Caramon a southpaw?
Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff
The Icemaiden
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by The Icemaiden »

Nagora wrote:
genghisdon wrote:
Storm11 wrote:Image
answered...I believe that is Elmore himself writing there(& it is his website)...and yes, he was routed by Gary himself, apparently.
Gary was awesome, but he made mistakes! Still, I might get push-back on the awesome solo fighter vs big red being a mistake, but seeing this, I think it can speak for itself.
I think Gary was right artistically, but for the game the original is better as pulling in the party aspect.

Anybody know what the "shoot twice" at different percentages is about?
I think they photograph the artwork twice at different tonal settings prior to making the print plates to achieve better colour depth and contrast. It was a way of artwork manipulation before the onset of photoshop etc. It could also refer to enlargement and reduction of size.
Valerfor
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by Valerfor »

SimperingToad wrote:Oopsies. Someone correct me if I don't recall correctly, but wasn't Caramon a southpaw?
I think so, at least in this picture he clearly is.
Also in this one.
SimperingToad
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by SimperingToad »

The Icemaiden wrote:I think they photograph the artwork twice at different tonal settings prior to making the print plates to achieve better colour depth and contrast. It was a way of artwork manipulation before the onset of photoshop etc. It could also refer to enlargement and reduction of size.
The latter. Artwork (as Icemaiden likely knows) is normally created larger than the final product in the books. When I was involved in the biz, the piece was shot on a rather large camera to the requested size onto a type of paper (via negatives first, of course). The paper could be used as is on some types of printers rather than making plates, but most often, it went back to the paste-up table. Nowadays, it's just scanned and droped into a layout program like InDesign.
Nagora

Post by Nagora »

SimperingToad wrote:
The Icemaiden wrote:I think they photograph the artwork twice at different tonal settings prior to making the print plates to achieve better colour depth and contrast. It was a way of artwork manipulation before the onset of photoshop etc. It could also refer to enlargement and reduction of size.
The latter. Artwork (as Icemaiden likely knows) is normally created larger than the final product in the books. When I was involved in the biz, the piece was shot on a rather large camera to the requested size onto a type of paper (via negatives first, of course). The paper could be used as is on some types of printers rather than making plates, but most often, it went back to the paste-up table. Nowadays, it's just scanned and droped into a layout program like InDesign.
I thought of that but I could't see why the artist would specify the sizes themselves, or why do it at all on a sketch, or why specify two. Of course, it might not have been Larry who wrote that. And I guess the sizes might be for a box mock up and, er... something else.
osrgamer
Lesser Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by osrgamer »

SimperingToad wrote:Image

Oopsies. Someone correct me if I don't recall correctly, but wasn't Caramon a southpaw?
His high strength makes up for the -2 to hit, though.
Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once, giants lived in the Earth, Conan. And in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered. And the Earth shook.
DungeonDevil
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by DungeonDevil »

I have to say I like his art too. Yes, the figures always look like they're posing rather than in the midst of actual action
+1. Technically, Elmore is a master, but the "posy" figures deduct a star IMO.
*Tiptoes off to look over his Frazetta collection...*
Do you like Fantasy and Sword-and-Sorcery roleplaying? Try...
MEADOWS & MEGALITHS

Want something different for your SciFi roleplaying experience? Look into...
AMONG THE REALMS OF ANCIENT LIGHT

BOTH AVAILABLE NOW ON LULU!
SimperingToad
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by SimperingToad »

Nagora wrote:
SimperingToad wrote:
I thought of that but I could't see why the artist would specify the sizes themselves, or why do it at all on a sketch, or why specify two. Of course, it might not have been Larry who wrote that. And I guess the sizes might be for a box mock up and, er... something else.
There are a lot of possibilities, and you mentioned a few. If Larry were designing the entire basic box, for instance, then it stands to reason that he had the necessary measurements to tell the person running the camera (or whatever they used) the required size. Having two sizes specified implies at least two different designs, possibly one being with the full party, and one just the area that made the cut, which would be very normal. Just take a look at all the attempts Darlene had for the TSR logo as an example of the process. https://acaeum.com/library/darlene.html

As far as the sizes being on the piece itself? What better place? That was SOP when I did that years ago. The stuff out of the art gets cut off anyway on the final, and it can't get lost until then.

But, without the participants stating who did what, we won't know for certain. Just possibilities based on what we do know.
SimperingToad
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by SimperingToad »

DungeonDevil wrote:
I have to say I like his art too. Yes, the figures always look like they're posing rather than in the midst of actual action
+1. Technically, Elmore is a master, but the "posy" figures deduct a star IMO.
*Tiptoes off to look over his Frazetta collection...*
Larry is a talented artist. His style rather suggests a high-fantasy vibe, whereas I prefer a more gritty approach for D&D, like much of Angus McBride's work when he was doing covers for ICEs Middle-earth material.

For me, it's a matter of matching the artist to the material they are attempting to portray. Larry was a good match for Dragonlance, but I would use someone like a Trampier or a McBride for my own D&D if'n I had the call to make.
skalding
Greater Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by skalding »

Posing can be done well. I.e., non-woodenly. Michael Whelan is pretty good at it.

Bedivere
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Bedivere »

Nagora wrote:
Smon wrote:Here's a good fight scene I don't think has come up yet, with dragon & snow:
That is just such an inspirational image. If you don't have stat blocks dancing in your head when you look at that then you're not a DM.
If you're familiar with Dragonlance stat blocks certainly pop up in your head - female elf F5 with Cha 16, human F6, human F7, probably an Ice Folk captain and an Ice Folk Shaman...a huge ancient white dragon named Sleet...
"Let's go back to the abyss where it's safe." - Wylo the Traveler
Valerfor
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by Valerfor »

Sleet hit the gym but she's still doing 1d4 dmg with her claws :wink:
Classicdnd

Post by Classicdnd »

skalding wrote:Posing can be done well. I.e., non-woodenly. Michael Whelan is pretty good at it.

Always liked this pic. It has a similar vibe to Brom's artwork, too.

Heh, and it made me think of my favourite MWWG cover:

skalding

Post by skalding »

:lol: That's marvelous.
Nagora

Post by Nagora »

MWWG was quite a clever little system. Favourite rule (aside from "top-heavy"): hit location determines damage dice size; weapon determines number of dice. Neat.
Gord
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Gord »

Not Larry but just saw this on Facebook and I like it a lot.

Jester by Nikita Veprikov
genghisdon

Post by genghisdon »

Since it appears we have drifted off course, off Elmore, this one feels like low level D&D 4 sure:
Who watches the watchmen?

IMPERIOUS REX!!

"DIE FOR THE DOW"
Warwolf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Warwolf »

Found this on the web. Thought it was short and interesting.
Well known fantasy artist Larry Elmore has been perfecting his craft for over two decades. As a staff artist with TSR from 1981 - 1987 he worked on many Dungeons and Dragons products including the covers of the well known Dragonlance series. Since leaving TSR he has worked as a freelance artist with numerous publishers, illustrating books, magazines and gaming products as well as creating the Sovereign Stone series.

Winterwind: What's new? Are you working on any particular projects at the moment that you can tell us about?

Larry Elmore: I am finally able to work on some of my own projects. This year I'm transitioning from mostly publishing work to more of my own work. Here is the full announcement.

WW: Where do you draw your inspiration from?

LE: Everyday life, my own imagination, seasons, and my mood. If the art is for a particular project, then the idea comes from the book or the product. If it is a book, I read the book and pick a scene. This scene is what

represents the total feeling I get from the book.

WW: What do you feel was most influential on your style when you were starting out as an artist?

LE: Realist painters in Europe and America in the late 1800's and early 1900's. These include the Pre-Raphaelites, N.C. Wyeth, Maxfield Parrish and other early American artists and illustrators. I was most influenced by Frank Frazetta and have always loved the work of Jeff Jones. The Hilderbrant Bros was also a big influence.

WW: You worked for TSR for several years. What was it like to work for them in the "early days" when the mainstream media hadn't yet discovered the fantasy genre?

LE: It was great. We had a great time!

WW: Was your art of a similar style/feel before you were exposed to fantasy?

LE: Yes, for as long as I can remember, I have always drawn and painted in the style of fantasy.
“Afraid? I can dodge folly without backing into fear.”
Nero Wolfe (The Doorbell Rang)

Founding member of <GAG>, Rizak the Really Horrible's shotgun/axe, Doctor Doom enthusiast, winner of Theslo’s Most Groggiest Post Ever Award.
Claudius
Greater Associate of the Drakon
Greater Associate of the Drakon

Post by Claudius »

skalding wrote:Posing can be done well. I.e., non-woodenly. Michael Whelan is pretty good at it.

This is of course insanely awesome. All of the covers on the Elric books are awesome. Heck, Elric is awesome.

Blackrazor anyone?
Ratbreath
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Ratbreath »

Classicdnd wrote:Always liked this pic. It has a similar vibe to Brom's artwork, too.

So...I'm the only one who thinks they both look like they really need to pee?
Classicdnd

Post by Classicdnd »

Ratbreath wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:01 pm
Classicdnd wrote:Always liked this pic. It has a similar vibe to Brom's artwork, too.

So...I'm the only one who thinks they both look like they really need to pee?
:lol: I can’t un-see that now.
Smon
Deity of Dragonsfoot
Deity of Dragonsfoot

Post by Smon »

Smon wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:46 pm I have this one on my bedroom wall:
Image - I have a bunch of Elmore colour printouts on the wall, along with a couple Frazettas.
Was just reading this and thinking
"What kind of loser boasts of having a Larry Elmore poster on his bedroom wall?
....Oh." :lol: :lol:
My Current Games
Online, with Vacancies for Cool Players
Xoth (Dragonbane) https://simonyrpgs.blogspot.com/2023/03 ... nbane.html
Wilderlands Stonehell (5e DnD) https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10701 ... n-accounts
Tabletop
Faerun Barrowmaze (5e DnD) http://frloudwater.blogspot.com/2021/04 ... wmoor.html
Misty Vale (Dragonbane) http://simonyrpgs.blogspot.com/2023/02/ ... rules.html
Ezram

Post by Ezram »

Elmore's early elves are the best!
Realism is a spice to the meal which is a campaign. On some occasions, a sprinkle is required; at other times, a generous helping is a necessity. However, rarely (if ever) does it constitute a meal unto itself and it is far too easy to indulge to the point of repulsion.
--- --- ---
Sexy Half-Orcs and Orcs Ugly Half-Elves and Elves Plain as a pikestaff Dwarves, Gnomes and Halflings
Dalor Darden

Post by Dalor Darden »

This has always been one of my favorite pieces of Elmore's work. It isn't complicated, it isn't flashy...but it is screaming adventure.

AD&D for me!

Play Gram the Ancient in Milo's PbP Adventures in Lesserton Game

Disclaimer: what I write is my opinion unless I cite a page reference.
IluvHalfOrcs
Hero of Dragonsfoot
Hero of Dragonsfoot

Post by IluvHalfOrcs »

genghisdon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 pm speaking of parties:
This one has always been my favorite. I only ever saw it on the boxed set of miniatures, all made from this scene.

I've actually made a few PC's from this picture.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good Orcs to do nothing.
Classicdnd

Post by Classicdnd »

IluvHalfOrcs wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:15 am
genghisdon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:37 pm speaking of parties:
This one has always been my favorite. I only ever saw it on the boxed set of miniatures, all made from this scene.

I have the set of minis!

genghisdon

Post by genghisdon »

IluvHalfOrcs wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:15 am ]This one has always been my favorite. I only ever saw it on the boxed set of miniatures, all made from this scene.

cool...I used to do that all the time; make up stats/characters/npcs from artwork
Who watches the watchmen?

IMPERIOUS REX!!

"DIE FOR THE DOW"
Classicdnd

Post by Classicdnd »

Dalor Darden wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:05 pm This has always been one of my favorite pieces of Elmore's work. It isn't complicated, it isn't flashy...but it is screaming adventure.

Agreed! Another one of my favs, too. So many!
skalding

Post by skalding »

Classicdnd wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:31 am
Dalor Darden wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:05 pm This has always been one of my favorite pieces of Elmore's work. It isn't complicated, it isn't flashy...but it is screaming adventure.

Agreed! Another one of my favs, too. So many!
I like this in terms of composition and lines - quite nice.

I'd forgive the oars as a bit of license. . .but I started to consider the wind and water, and I realized I have no idea what's going on from an actual sailing perspective. The wind blows from astern (port quarter), filling the sail, because that's dramatic. The wind also blows from the opposite direction, filling the fighters cape and liting the second figure's hair, because that's dramatic. The spray and waves are. . .something else that's dramatic.