Were to mount fire extinguisher in the 458? | FerrariChat

Were to mount fire extinguisher in the 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by XSSSIVE, Sep 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    The FCA hill climbs are around the corner and it's time to figure out were to mount my fire extinguisher. In my 360, 430 and California I mounted the extinguisher to the foot rest on the passenger side of the car. My new 458 does not have the floor panel on the passenger side as my old cars.

Any suggestions on were to mount a fire extinguisher in the 458. It needs to be within reach of the driver (rules state).

2. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Go to RaceSafe.com they have the best fire extinguisher for the 458. It mounts to the chair rail and doesn't require any holes to be drilled. The driver can grab the extinguisher whether there is a passenger or not. Absolutely the best and safest mounting that I have seen for the 430 and 458. I have had both and a number of guys I track with have bought and installed RaceSafe competition components.

3. shawsan

shawsan Formula 3

Jul 2, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    The OEM mounting of the fire extinguisher on my 458 is just STUPID. It's located to the right of where a passenger's feet will locate, meaning they step on it with their right foot and feel cramped. Used to be on the left of passenger's legs more or less out of the way in my Stradale. Any arrangement that would mount the extinguisher at the base of the seat, under the passengers legs would be best IMHO.

4. geochin

geochin Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2012
    NJ
    Full Name:
    George
    What's with fire extinguisher. I don't have one in my 2010 458 coupe. Do I need one

5. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Thanks for the info. It lead me to what they sell, which is the one made by Brey Krause. I bought it through Vivid Racing.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/brey-krause-universal-fire-extinguisher-mount-universal-p-155734.html

6. Street&Track

Nov 10, 2003
    #6 Street&Track, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I looked at the link you posted and I hope that it works for you. But just so you know I looked in to the Krause universal mount a couple of years ago and it did not fit my 430 without drilling holes and modifying the unit.

In addition, if you have a passenger with you, the extinguisher is not readily available, since you can't see the quick release pin with someone's legs over it. The quick release set up for the 458 at http://racesafe.com/html/ferrari.html has a super-quick one hand release that you can easily reach for from your driver's seat, with or without a passenger because it is hugging the passenger side of the central tunnel, which is out of the way of the passengers feet and legs. The picture of the 430 on the RaceSafe website, is actually my 430.

Further how the extinguisher mount attaches is key to the install. In the RaceSafe version the mount is a single piece of CNC aluminum that attaches via a single 3/8 inch bolt through the open hole that is already powdercoated in the chair rail. The mount is available in wrinkle black and polished aluminum. The mount can be removed or installed in about 2 minutes. Combined with the slick one pin quick release it is the best I have seen.

Not saying the Krause unit won't work on the 458 but when I researched it three years ago it did not work for my 430, hence the picture of my 430 on the RaceSafe website:)

Here is a pic of the unit now in my 458. If you want more pics just let me know, if not, no worries good luck with the Krause unit. The key is to have a good safe unit for track days:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Sadly, when I tried calling them several times know one answered. It just went to their VM.

I'll see how it fits when it's delivered next week. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the help.

8. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA

I was just going to ask the same question about a fire extingisher in a sepatrate thread. Need to get this setup for my 2012 458 coupe. Could you post some close up pics of the bracket attached in your 458. Is it easy to install or do I need the service guys to do it? Thanks....Rod

9. XSSSIVE

XSSSIVE Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Reno & Lake Tahoe
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #9 XSSSIVE, Sep 24, 2012
  10. mrizkallah23

mrizkallah23 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark Rizkallah
    That looks good, it's nice to not have to drill anything

11. Street&Track

Nov 10, 2003
    That looks pretty good, I am glad it worked out for you so far.

The only issue that was pointed out to me about that particular mount by a experienced track guy, was the fact that with the extinguisher mounted there at the front of the seat in a horizontal position, access is the main issue if you have a passenger. So if you have a passenger and the need arises that you have to get at the fire extinguisher, you can't get at it very easily since the passenger legs are between you and the fire extinguisher.

Add to that the passenger could be unresponsive, unwilling, unable to respond or worse incompetent to wield the extinguisher and you have a bad situation made worse:(.

On my installation the fire extinguisher does not hinder access even with a passenger in the seat, conscious or not. The fire extinguisher hugs the central tunnel and is not in the way of anything.

In fact, after installing it and taking it back out a few times, which is easy because with just one bolt installation, using the same powder coated hole in the chair rail that you used, I have now decided to leave it in the car at all times. I don't go anywhere in my 458 without it.

It looks good IMO as the bottle and the mounting bracket both have black wrinkle paint that matches my nero interior and is not in the way, so I figure why not have it, you never know when you might need it. With my luck, the one time I take it out would be the one time I need it. And usually you only get a few seconds before it is too late anyway. So for me having it all the time is small insurance that I won't need it:)

12. Saudi_Ferrari

Saudi_Ferrari Karting

Sep 29, 2007
    Saudi Arabia
    Do you know if removing the fire extinguisher base is an easy process? It's very much annoying

13. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    +1.

14. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I agree. They know our cars well.

15. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I have handheld fire extinguishers in my sports cars, but the more I think about it a plumbed-in fire extinguisher may in the case of engine fires be the only solution. The Lifeline system shown in Raceway's site seems a very good one.

Andres

16. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA

I have this same setup with standard seats in my 12 coupe.

17. BluNart

BluNart Karting

Jul 2, 2013
    New England, USA
    Full Name:
    Blu
    #17 BluNart, Mar 21, 2014
    While this is a 458 thread the 430 came into discussion so . . . I custom fit a Krause mount in our 360 with Daytona electric seats. The mount is expensive but amazing quality & quick release works great. With these seats I had to smooth some edges on the clip so it wouldn't scratch the leather and it takes a good pull depressing the foam to release but very functional if needed.

18. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    How is the OEM fire extinguisher mounted on the 458.

Many thanks,

Andy

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    How many 458 owners have ever had the need to use a fire extinguisher in the car. Just curious.

20. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I hope to never need it!! But am installing mine next week from racesafe so I can go on the track properly.

21. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #21 abstamaria, Jun 17, 2015
    I just installed Don Bartz' bracket in my Italia. It places the fire extinguisher bottle out of the way and looks good, I think. It attaches with a single bolt, using the available threaded hole in the seat rail.

Andy

22. riozilla

riozilla Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Mine is here: [​IMG]

23. arcangel

arcangel Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2013
    #23 arcangel, Jun 17, 2015
  24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #24 abstamaria, Jun 20, 2015
    It seems we have the same location, arcangel, except that I have a LHD car. I since decided to change the fire extinguisher bottle, but the location is the same.

25. arcangel

arcangel Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2013
    Indeed , basically same location . I like your bottle which is much more tasteful than the stock!