• Thread starter Schwartz
  • 10 comments

Schwartz

Premium
United States
Bellingham, WA
Schwartz38
image_zps912a4695.jpg

If you haven't heard of this unique three-wheeled street car you're probably living under a rock or a totalitarian dictatorship. Really, it's been in production for like, 20 years, and chances are, if you've heard of it, you've also had a Rob Dyrdek fanboy try to shove its awesomeness down your throat. Regardless, I'm here to take an unbiased probably biased look at the Campagna T-Rex. But first, let me throw out some specifications from their 2013 model found on Campagna's website.

SAFETY
Triangulated side walls and front crash zone
3 points safety belts
4 piston calipers on front wheels
Cross-drilled rotors on all wheels
Reinforced safety roll-cage
Handbrake
Halogen hi-low projection beam
Backup lights
Safety belt warning light and buzzer
High-mount 3rd brake light

DRIVELINE
6-speed sequential transmission
Mechanical reverse gear
Chain Driven rear wheel

ENGINE
Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, DOHC,
four valve per cylinder, inline-four
Displacement: 1352 cc
Bore x stroke: 84.0 x 61.0 mm
Maximum horsepower: 197 hp
Maximum torque: 154 N/m {15.7 kgf/m}
113.5 lb-ft @ 7,500 rpm
Compression ratio: 12.0:1
Fuel Injection DFI with Mikuni 44mm
Mikuni Throttle Bodies (4)
Ignition TCBI with Digital Advance
Fuel capacity: 7.5 US gal. (28L)

SUSPENSION
FRONT SUSPENSION
Unequal opposed triangular arms, shocks dampers
with adjustable coil overs and sway bar
REAR SUSPENSION
Swing arm, dual shock dampers

INSTRUMENTS
In dash electronic instrument cluster includes

Speedometer
Trip computer w/odometer, trip meter, DTE etc.
Tachometer
Oil & engine coolant temp warning lights
Fuel gauge
Flashers indicators
Controls
Self-cancelling flashers
Hi-low beam switch
Hazard
Horn

PERFORMANCE
Performance: 0-60 mph: 3.92 sec
Top speed: 144 mph (230 km/h)
Lateral acceleration: 1.3 g

CARGO
Capacity: 46L each
Removable
Lockable
Waterproof

OTHER
Sequential shifter with solid shift linkage
Foot pedal activated clutch
Gas pedal
Brake pedal with dual fluid container
Rack and pinion (3.25 turns lock to lock)

It's no secret, the T-Rex is a practical nightmare. It lacks virtually all amenities found in an average supercar (Which are, by no means practical), such as a Corvette or GT-R. It has no cargo space. It has no windshield. And, it has a 7.5 gallon fuel tank. The T-Rex has about all of the practicality of a motorcycle. This is fitting, because the T-Rex is technically a motorcycle depending on where you live. Even with its rollcage, some states require the use of a helmet and a motorcycle license to drive it.

However, with the nature of the T-Rex, practicality must take a back seat (that it doesn't have) to performance and driving experience. The T-Rex obviously is not an everyday driver, it's a toy. So take everything I just said and throw it out the window (that it doesn't have), and we'll evaluate this car based on performance and driving experience.

It has three wheels. The driving experience, unlike its cousin, the Can-Am Spyder, is much more like a car than that of a motorcycle. It's got a steering wheel, a proper 6 speed gearbox with a reverse gear, car-like suspension, Oversized pedals from a Mini (what?), all the works.

The powerplant is not, however, from a car. Here's where the Frankensteining begins. The Kawasaki 1400 cc Inline 4 puts down 197 horsepower. That doesn't sound like much, but the T-Rex weighs a mere 1100 pounds, giving it a power to weight ratio of 5.29. To get all this power to the road, it is put through 10.5 inch wide, chain driven rear wheel. It goes from 0-60 in just under four seconds and tops out at 144 MPH.

You get all this, the whole package, for about $60,000 USD. You get the three wheels, the power/weight ratio, the oversized pedals, the lack of windshield, all of it. For just $60,000. They'll even throw in some red tape for you depending on your location.

Given, with $60,000, you could get a brand new Corvette with 400 plus horsepower. Hell, you'll even get the fourth wheel. Plus, you get a windsheild, and maybe they'll chop the top off for you if you want some wind in your hair.

Or you could buy a Kawasaki with its native motor used in the T-Rex for just $16,000, if that's your cup of tea.

Don't get me wrong, the Campagna T-Rex is a cool car. But for 60 grand, you could get both comfort and enjoyment from a number of different cars. Sorry, but I just don't see the point.

Last edited:
That's a heck of a post to say "I don't see the point" ;) I'd have settled for the Leno vid and an "I'm not keen".

...I'm not keen.

You have a point, but if people are going to respond, I'd rather have them responding to me than just a video. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean it isn't worth my time.

Last edited:
I don't care for these but when the reverse trike came out I thought it was neat. I wouldn't own one though.

If you haven't heard of this unique three-wheeled street car you're probably living under a rock or a totalitarian dictatorship.

Well I've not heard of it. Plus I live in the UK...

In all seriousness, if I ever saw one of those over here I'd automatically assume it was some sort modernised variant of the Grinnall Scorpion III. With the addition of a roof.

Well I've not heard of it. Plus I live in the UK...

I doubt they are sold in Europe, it'd probably be quite expensive for a small company like Campagna to do the Transatlantic thing. It took them long enough to get it street legal in the United States, I'm not sure how UK/European laws compare.

If you want a bike, get a bike. You want a car, get a car. I don't really understand the point of it.

Back